Ground turkey lettuce cups are the perfect savory dinner dish that’s light and flavorful. With this recipe, you may have leftovers, but don’t expect them often because this dish goes fast. It will probably have you going back for seconds.
The best part of making these turkey lettuce wraps are that they are so fast to make. You will have to get a few ingredients that you may not have on hand. But once you have them, this Asian lettuce wrap recipe comes together very quickly.
Adding the Hoisin sauce mixture, with ingredients like soy sauce and rice wine vinegar, puts an Asian twist on these turkey lettuce cups. Many recipes for Asian turkey lettuce wraps, like the chicken lettuce wraps at P.F. Chang’s, will include onions, ginger, garlic and water chestnuts as well.
The right lettuce for ground turkey lettuce cups can vary. You can use Romain lettuce or Bibb lettuce also called butter lettuce. Some people like to use iceberg lettuce or the smaller leaves of endives. Smaller lettuce leaves like arugula won’t work.
There is really no wrong lettuce leaf to use for a ground turkey lettuce wraps recipe. As long as the lettuce cup is large enough to hold a spoonful or two of the ground turkey, it should work. The idea if lettuce wraps is that the lettuce is a healthier version of, say, a tortilla.
Ground Turkey Hoisin Sauce Recipe
The hoisin sauce recipe is key to the ground turkey lettuce cups. To make it, simply add all of the ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together. Those ingredients are 1/4 cup of hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar.
You can add salt and pepper to taste, but remember there’s plenty of salt in the hoisin and soy sauce.
Healthy Ground Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Ground turkey lettuce wraps are a good way of cooking light. Is Asian lettuce Wraps recipe does call for hoisin sauce and soy sauce, which adds sugar and salt to the lettuce cups. For healthy turkey lettuce wraps, consider just cooking the ground turkey in olive oil and sesame oil and adding just a bit of soy sauce for flavor.
Ground Turkey Lettuce Cups With Asian Sauce
- Medium or large skillet
- Knife for chopping
- Cutting board
- Grater for ginger
- Small bowl
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ¾ cup chopped onion (about one medium size yellow or white onion)
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated or finely chopped ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 oz) chopped water chestnuts
- 2 green onions chopped into scallions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head Romaine or Bibb lettuce
- Heat the olive oil and the sesame oil in a skillet for a few minutes at medium high heat. Then, add the ground turkey. Cook about 5 to 7 minutes, chopping into smaller chunks along the way and stirring occasionally. Drain any excess fat.
- Add chopped onions, garlic and ginger.
- While the ground turkey is cooking, make the sauce in a small bowl. Whisk together: hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar. Pour the sauce over the turkey and stir. Let the mixture simmer a few minutes.
- Finally, add the scallions and water chestnuts and let the ground turkey mixture simmer another minute or two.
- Rinse the leaves of Romaine or Bibb lettuce, and dry gently with a paper towel. Place the lettuce leaves and ground turkey with hoisin sauce on a tray or a plate and bowl.To serve, scoop a spoonful of ground turkey on the lettuce cup and eat it like a taco.