Thai peanut lettuce wraps have a perfect sweet and savory flavor, making the perfect lighter lunch or dinner.
This easy Thai lettuce wraps recipe uses sweet chili Thai sauce and soy sauce as a base flavor for the ground chicken. Adding to the palate are ingredients like onions, ginger and garlic.
Start making your Thai lettuce wraps with a little prep work chopping onions grading ginger and mincing garlic. Get your sesame oil heating on your skillet.
Looking for tasty and easy lettuce wrap ideas? Try Ground Turkey Lettuce Cups with Ginger.
How to Make Thai Peanut Lettuce Wraps
Brown the ground chicken in your skillet until cooked through, about 4 minutes. You’ll want to drain the excess fat. With ground chicken, you won’t have much fat to drain, but you’ll still want to take off that extra liquid so if doesn’t affect the consistency of your sweet Thai chili and soy sauce.
Once the fat has drained, add the sauces to the skillet along with the onions garlic and ginger. Allow the mixture to simmer another minute or two.
Add in the chopped peanuts, scallions and carrots toward the end. And allow them to simmer another couple minutes.
How to Serve Thai Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Thai peanut lettuce wraps And be served in a couple of ways. A common way is to place all of the Thai ground chicken in one dish or on one side of a platter and then serve lettuce leaves separately.
Good lettuce leaves for a lettuce wrap or lettuce cup are larger leaves like Romain lettuce or Bibb lettuce (Butter lettuce) that can hold the Thai ground chicken like a taco.
You can also make easy Thai lettuce wraps by scooping a few spoonfuls into each lettuce leaf and placing them on a serving tray. Garnish with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Once you have the key ingredients on hand, you can use this Thai chicken lettuce wraps recipe as a go-to meal!
Thai Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Grease container (can, bowl, or mug)
- Small bowl
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ½ cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet red cili sauce
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ cup crushed peanuts
- 3 chopped green onions (scallions)
- ⅓ cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds for garnish
- 8 – 12 lettuce leaves (romaine or bibb)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare your onion, garlic, and ginger by chopping and mincing.
- Heat the sesame oil in the skillet and then add the ground chicken. Break up the chicken into small pieces using your spatula as it cooks. Once the chicken is browned, drain the grease into a container.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and add the chopped onion. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic to the mixture. Add the grated ginger. Allow the mixture to simmer about 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the Thai chili sauce, soy sauce, honey and lime juice.
- Add the sauce to the simmering chicken and then add the crushed peanuts. Simmer for 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Add the shredded carrots and scallions and allow the Thai chili chicken to cook one minute more.
- Remove from heat and transfer the ground chicken to a serving platter. Garnish with sesame seeds and a few more scallions.
- To serve, scoop a few tablespoons onto a lettuce leaf and eat it as you would eat a taco.