Ground chicken rice bowl recipes are perfect for a lunchtime bite, and this hoisin ground chicken rice bowl is easy to make and bursting with flavor.
The ingredients of hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, and soy sauce make this a type of recipe for an Asian ground chicken rice bowl with it’s sweet and salty notes.
To start, you’ll obviously need to make some rice. Brown or white rice will work just fine, but the white rice will allow the flavors of the ground chicken to shine a little more.
Simply use a proportion of one part rice to two parts water to make as much rice as you want. This recipe uses one and a half cups of white rice and 3 cups water or chicken stock. Add about a tablespoon of butter or a drizzle of olive oil.
When you make the rice, start boiling the water then add the rice in and reduce the heat. Add a lid and let it simmer for about 15 minutes until the water is absorbed. Then let it sit about another five minutes for fluffy rice.
Are you looking for a delicious lunch bite? Try:
- Ground Turkey Lettuce Wraps: Hoisin sauce and soy sauce provide a sweet and savory flavor.
- Havarti Dill Pickle Quesadilla: Discover a new twist on quesadillas that will have you coming back for more.
- Asian Caesar Salad: Use key elements of a traditional Caesar salad, like Parmesan cheese and romaine, but with spicy flavors like siracha.
Ground Chicken Rice Bowl Recipe
Start making the hoisin ground chicken for the rice bowl by heating up a skillet to medium high. Add a drizzle of olive oil. Once the pan is hot, add the ground chicken.
Let the chicken cook through about 5 to 7 minutes until browned. Meanwhile chop a white onion and 2 to 3 cloves of peeled garlic cloves. Grate a tablespoon ginger root.
Once the chicken has cooked through, drain the excess fat into a little porcelain container or can. Add in your chopped onions, garlic, and ginger and allow the mixture to cook another 3 to 4 minutes. (At this point, your kitchen should be smelling amazing!)
Hoisin Sauce for Chicken Rice Bowl
The next step for this hoisin chicken rice bowl is to make the sweet and savory Asian sauce. Combine 1/4 cup of hoisin sauce with the rice vinegar and the soy sauce. Mix it together and pour it over your ground chicken in the skillet.
Hoisin sauce is what makes this recipe one of the best ground chicken rice bowl recipes. Hoisin sauce on rice is a very tasty combination!
Final Steps for Your Ground Chicken Rice Bowl
For the final few minutes of cooking your hoisin ground chicken, add the chopped water chestnuts and most of the scallions. You don’t want them to cook as long as the other ingredients.
Save a few scallions to top the rice bowl for garnish.
Continue to stir the hoisin ground chicken occasionally. Once it’s cooked through you can set it aside as you assemble your easy chicken rice bowl.
How to Serve Hoisin Chicken Rice Bowls
To serve, simply scoop some rice into a bowl and then top with another scoop of the Hoisin ground chicken.
Garnish with a few chives and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Hoisin Ground Chicken Rice Bowl
- small bowl and whisk
- 1½ cup jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¾ cup chopped white onion (one onion)
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated or finely chopped ginger
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 8 ounces water chestnuts (one can)
- 2 green onions chopped into scallions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds for garnish
- Bring 3 cups of water or chicken stock to a boil. Add 1½ cup rice and a tablespoon of butter and add a lid. Allow the rice to cook on medium low heat until the water is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet on medium high heat. Add the ground chicken (as well as some salt and pepper to season) and cook through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Chop it into small bits and stir occasionally as it cooks. Drain the grease.
- Add chopped onions, garlic and ginger and allow the mixture to simmer about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Make the sauce by whisking the Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and rice. Pour it over the chicken and onions and allow it to cook another 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, add most of your scallions, reserving some for garnish. Add chopped water chestnuts and cook another minute.
- To serve, place a scoop of rice in a bowl and top with a scoop of hoisin ground chicken. Garnish the rice bowl with scallions and sesame seeds.