Bacon onion jam never lasts long. This highly addictive savory sweet spread, also called bacon marmalade, can be used for nearly anything a typical jam is used for, and more.
Patted in a little mason jar and cinched with a ribbon, it’s a perfect gift for anyone on any occasion.
This simple bacon jam recipe is extremely easy to make, but it does take some time for all the simmering. You’ll have to set aside about an hour and half to get everything done to perfection. But it’s well worth it.
The key parts of this simple bacon onion jam recipe is, of course, the bacon and onion. You’ll be using a whole 1 lb package of bacon as well as one whole yellow onion. Simply chop them up and simmer them for about 30 minutes.
Then you’ll need to add a binder like light brown sugar and a smidge of maple syrup. Some black pepper and vinegar finishes off the flavor palette. Add a bit of cayenne pepper if you want similar flavors to a spicy candied bacon recipe.
Unlike other marmalades, bacon onion jam isn’t really ideal for canning and keeping for a long period of time. You can keep it in the fridge for about two to three weeks (although it probably won’t last that long given it’s popularity!)
One of the best ways to use bacon onion jam is as a condiment with burgers. Try making a crostini by topping toasted bread with it, or using it as a dipping sauce for fresh apple slices.
You can use a bit of this simple bacon marmalade on simple pasta, or on a cracker. Once you make this versatile bacon onion jam, you can explore your own favorite ways to use. it.
Try one of our other tasty recipes:
Bacon Onion Jam
- Cutting board
- Sharp Knife
- Frying pan
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 lb Bacon
- 1/3 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbl Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Tbl Apple Cider Vinegar
- Cut the pound of bacon into small bits, about 1/2 inch to 1 inch. Don't worry if some are stuck together because they will separate during cooking. Unlike cooking regular bacon, you can cook the whole pound at once.
- Cook the bacon pieces over medium heat. Don't be in a hurry – slow cooked bacon is good in this recipe. Stir frequently during cooking so that bits separate from each other and can cook evenly.
- Remove bacon pieces from heat and set aside.
- Drain most of the bacon grease, either in a porcelain container to use later or in a disposable metal container like a can. Save about 2 Tablespoons in the pan.
- Chop onion into small even pieces.
- Slowly cook onion pieces in bacon grease. When they begin to turn clear/transparent (after about 5 to 10 minutes) and become soft, add the bacon pieces back in.
- Add light brown sugar, pepper, vinegar and maple syrup.
- Simmer the entire mixture for about 20 to 30 minutes. You will know when the bacon onion jam is ready when the onions have turned into a jam-like consistency.
- For a more jam-like texture, you can run the mixture through a food processor quickly. However, bacon onion jam is also fine to eat with the larger pieces.
- On crackers or toast triangles
- As a condiment on burgers
- As a pasta glaze
- On apple slices
What Does Bacon Jam Taste Like?
Bacon jam, or bacon marmalade, has an unusual taste that is more sweet than savory. It does not taste exactly like bacon. Instead, caramelized onions along with a bit of brown sugar and maple syrup provide a layer of flavor that complements the bacon. You can use bacon jam a number of ways, from condiments on crackers to glazes for pasts.
What is Bacon Jam Made of?
Bacon jam is a simple recipe typically made with chopped bacon, caramelized onions, brown sugar, vinegar, and maple syrup. It may include other ingredients like balsamic, raisins, coffee, bourbon, or spices like cayenne. The mixture simmers together for about 30 minutes until it reaches jam-like consistency.
What is Bacon Jam Good With?
A simple recipe, Bacon Jam is often used as a condiment for burgers, but it has many possible uses. You can use Bacon Jam to glaze pasta or to coat vegetables like Brussels sprouts, broccoli, or carrots. You can use a dip for apple slices or other fruit, or to top a cracker. Some people use it as a chicken wing sauce, as a topper for top fish, or as an ingredient in meatloaf.
What is a Bacon Jam Burger?
A bacon jam burger is a hamburger that uses bacon jam, or bacon relish, as a condiment. Bacon jam has a sweet, savory flavor from its two main ingredients of caramelized onions and bacon, which are sauteed slowly to create a jam-like consistency. Bacon burgers can include many other toppers like cheese, lettuce, onions and can be served with or without a bun.