French toast tortillas offer a crunchy twist on a French toast recipe with ingredients like Panko crumbs.
Making French toast with tortillas is incredibly easy and you probably have all the ingredients you need at home already.
Just like with traditional French toast, you’ll be making an egg mixture that includes vanilla. But with this French toast tortilla recipe, you’ll also make a crumb mixture as if you were frying something.
The Panko crumb mixture, which also includes ingredients like cinnamon and salt, provides a crispy layer to the flour tortillas.
How to Serve French Toast Tortillas
Tortilla French toast can be served with many different kinds of toppings, from fresh fruit to fruit compote like blueberry raspberry compote. You can top it with maple syrup or powdered sugar. (The topping in this recipe is a lemon cheesecake sauce, made with whipped cream, cream cheese, lemon extract, sugar and sour cream.)
A french toast tortilla be served immediately just like traditional French toast. If you have leftovers you can keep them in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. They should still be a bit crispy even the next day.
French toast with tortillas can be an easy go to dish you can make for yourself or for a crowd. To make more, simply double the tortilla French toast recipe.
**NOTE: You can also make corn tortilla french toast using corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas. You might want to serve the corn tortilla French toast with more savory toppings like a corn salsa instead of sweet toppings like fruit compote.
Do you have extra flour tortillas? Try making these easy Flour Tortilla Chips.
French Toast Tortillas
- 2 Bowls
- 1 plate
- 1 Skillet
- 1 Tongs
- 1 Serving Platter
- Paper towels
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons butter (or neutral oil like coconut or vegetable oil)
- 2-3 flour tortillas
- Whisk the eggs with a fork or whisk and add vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine panko crumbs, cinnamon and salt and then transfer the crumb mixture onto a plate, spreading it evenly.
- Heat butter or oil in skillet on medium low.
- Use the tongs or your hands to gently dip a flour tortilla into the egg mixture, coating it well.
- Gently flip the tortilla back and forth over the panko crumbs on the plate to coat it well.
- Once the butter is melted or the oil is hot, place the tortilla in the skillet. Once the French toast tortilla is golden brown on one side, after about 1 to 2 minutes, gently flip it over.
- Cook the French toast flour tortilla until the second side is golden brown, about another 2 minutes. Transfer the tortilla onto a serving plate. If you used oil, you may want to first transfer to a plate with paper towels to drain some of the oil
- Wipe the skillet to remove any breadcrumbs so they do not burn. Repeat the steps with the remaining tortillas.
- You can serve French toast tortillas with a variety of toppings such as Nutella, syrup, powdered sugar, fruit compote, or a cheese cake cream.