Homemade flour tortilla chips are so easy to make and they are definitely worth it. Freshly fried flour tortilla chips are much more delicious than store-bought tortilla chips. And you really only need two ingredients – tortillas and oil!
Of course you’ll probably want to season your homemade flour tortilla chips a little bit with some salt, onion powder, garlic powder or a Spivey seasoning like Old Bay.
Making tortilla chips from scratch is basically just cutting up a flour tortilla into the size of chips. Most tortillas can be cut into good size chips with six or eight pieces per flour tortilla.
Do you want to heat the oil nice and hot, but not too hot. Homemade flour tortilla chips burn quickly! These chips cook fast so you’ll need to keep an eye on them. Usually it takes less than a minute to fry a flour tortilla chip.
For the oil, you can use basically any oil with a neutral flavor. Canola oil, vegetable oil, and coconut oil work well.
You can test the oil beforehand by using a small piece of tortilla. if you see the oil bubbling around it, the oil is hot enough. If it browns quickly, it’s probably too hot. Do you want to find that nice in between temperature, which is about 350°.
How to Make Tortilla Chips From Flour Tortillas on Stove
To make tortilla chips from flour tortillas on the stove, first heat the oil in a skillet in the stove. Add enough oil so that it covers or nearly covers the tortilla, about a quarter inch to a half inch in the skillet.
When it’s hot enough drop the pieces of cut tortilla into the oil. Leave enough room around them so that they do not touch and can move a little.
When you see browning around the edges flip the flour tortilla chips using tongs. You should see browning after about 20 to 30 seconds. Once both sides of round, transfer them quickly to a plate with paper towels next to the stove to drain.
The last step for how to make flour tortilla chips on the stove is to sprinkle them with salt and your preferred seasoning. You can use onion powder, garlic powder, or a spicier spice like Cayenne pepper.
You can serve your homemade flour tortilla chips in an basket lined with a tea towel or on a platter. Try serving them with hummus, salsa, or tapenade!
Homemade Flour Tortilla Chips
- 1 cutting board and knife
- 1 Skillet
- 1 Tongs
- 1 plate with paper towels
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 cup coconut oil (or canola oil or vegetable oil)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder or Old Bay (optional)
- Cut flour tortillas into pieces (about 6 to 8 pieces per tortilla)
- Heat oil in skillet on medium high heat. Test the oil using a small piece of tortilla. Ensure there are bubbles around the tortilla, but that it does not brown too quickly. If you can measure the temperature of the oil, you are aiming for about 350℉.
- Add some of the tortilla to the oil. Leave plenty of space between them. You will likely have to cook them in batches.
- Watch these flour tortilla chips closely because they will cook quickly. Once the edges start to brown, use the tongs to flip them over. Flip them a few times to brown them evenly, cooking a total of about 1 minute.
- Transfer the homemade flour tortilla chips to a plate with paper towels so they will drain. Add a pinch of salt and any seasonings you would like, such as garlic powder, onion powder, or Old Bay. (Chips in the picture have Old Bay.)
- Serve on a platter or in a bowl with optional sides like salsa or hummus.