Garlic haricots verts, or French green beans, are a very light and super easy to make vegetable side dish. With a little bit of lemon and roasted garlic, this is a perfect savory combination. Of course, roasting vegetables always makes them more delicious!
Haricots verts are a type of green bean that is a bit smaller than the standard green bean in the U.S.
This haricots verts recipe uses only a few ingredients of garlic and lemon as well as salt, pepper, and a sprinkling of sugar.
Looking for a fresh little dish? Try a Pomegranate and Pear Salad with Arugula.
How to Make a Garlic Haricots Verts
Start by washing your haricots verts and thoroughly parting them dry. You don’t want any wet spots because you want them to roast nicely. Put them in a medium sized mixing bowl.
Next, turn to your cutting board and peel and slice about 5 to 6 cloves of garlic. You can also chop the garlic if you’d prefer. Add your sliced garlic to the haricots verts. Add some salt and pepper to taste, about 1/4 teaspoon of each.
Next grate a lemon and add most of the zest, reserving a pinch of it for garnish later.
Mix all of the ingredients well with the haricots verts so that everything is coated in the olive oil. Then, use a spatula to scrape all of your ingredients onto a baking pan lined with aluminum foil and spread the beans evenly into one layer.
Bake haricots verts at 425° for about 10 minutes, and then stir them and bake another 5 to 10 minutes. The result will be perfectly roasted French green beans with garlic and lemon.
Using the Lemon for Haricots Verts
This recipe for roasted haricots verts uses exactly one lemon for the 1 pound of French green beans.
First your use the lemon for zest, grating the whole thing. Reserve a pinch of the lemon zest to garnish it afterwards. Otherwise you will roast the lemon zest as part of the mixture with the garlic haricots verts.
Then, cut the lemon in half. Cut 1/2 of the lemon into slices to roast along with the garlic French green beans. You will use the other half of the lemon to squeeze over the green beans after they are roasted.
These lemon proportions not only taste excellent with this roasted garlic haricots verts recipe, but they use one lemon precisely with nothing left over.
How to Serve Garlic Haricots Verts
Let your roasted haricots verts cool for a few minutes and then transfer them to a serving platter or serving bowl. Drizzle them with the juice of 1/2 of lemon. Garnish with the remaining half teaspoon or so of lemon zest.
You can also serve these pretty veggies in a bowl. Using tongs is ideal for serving green beans like roasted garlic haricots verts.
Garlic Haricots Verts
- medium size bowl
- Baking Pan
- Aluminum Foil
- 1 pound haricots verts (French green beans)
- 5 – 6 cloves garlic
- 2½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash haricots verts and pat them dry. Add to a medium size bowl.
- Peel six cloves of garlic and slice or chop into small pieces. Add to the bowl.
- Grate one lemon, reserve ½ to ¼ teaspoon, and add the rest of the grated lemon to the bowl. Add salt, sugar, and some ground black pepper. Mix well to coat all the ingredients with the olive oil.
- Spread green beans on a baking pan, and add slices from one half of the lemon. Cook for about 10 minutes, then stir the green beans. Cook about 5 to 10 minutes longer, allowing the haricots verts to brown but not burn.
- To serve, transfer to a serving platter using tongs. Top with the juice from the other half of the lemon and the remaining lemon zest.