Strawberry watermelon salad with honey lime vinaigrette is a perfect dish for the summer season when fruit is fresh. This is such an easy salad to make, and you can keep any leftover honey lime vinaigrette dressing on hand to use with other salads.
This watermelon strawberry salad uses fresh mint, but you can also use basil for a watermelon strawberry basil salad. Both of those herbs pair well with a honey lime dressing.
Start putting together a watermelon strawberry salad by making the honey lime vinaigrette first.
How to Make Honey Lime Vinaigrette Recipe
To make a honey lime vinaigrette, juice two limes into a small or medium size mixing bowl with a lemon-lime juicer. That should yield about 1/2 cup of lime juice.
Zest one of the limes, and add the zest to the bowl.
The best honey lime dressing recipes use shallots! Add finely chopped shallots and sugar, as well as 2 tablespoons of honey. Whisk all these ingredients together until they are well combined.
Then drizzle the olive oil into the bowl and continue whisking. Add a dash of salt and pepper for seasoning and whisk once more. Then set your honey lime vinaigrette dressing aside for the moment.
How to Make Watermelon Strawberry Mint Salad
You could also serve this salad with a Watermelon Vinaigrette.
Next, cube a watermelon until you have about 2 to 3 cups of the fruit cut in about 1 inch or 1/3 inch pieces. Then cut about 1 pint of strawberries in halves or quarters to yield about 1 cup of strawberries.
Add the strawberries and the watermelon to a large bowl. Finely chop some fresh mint leaves until you have about 1 tablespoon and sprinkle it over the strawberry and watermelon. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the fruit. Mix gently until the ingredients are evenly combined.
How to Serve Watermelon Mint Salad
Simply serve your watermelon mint salad chilled in a large bowl with a large serving spoon. Placed the dressing on the side in a dressing bottle or you can just pour about a quarter cup of the dressing over the salad.
A good serving size is about 1 cup of fruit topped with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the lime and honey salad dressing. You can garnish with some additional chopped mint, or a sprig of mint.
Strawberry Watermelon Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette
Honey Lime Vinaigrette Dressing
- 2 limes
- zest from one lime
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
Watermelon Strawberry Salad
- 3 – 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 1½ cup chopped strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
Honey Lime Vinaigrette Dressing
- Squeeze the limes into a medium size mixing bowl. You should get about 1/2 cup of lime juice from the two limes. Add the zest from one of the limes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chopped shallots, 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of white sugar. Whisk to combine. Drizzle in olive oil as you continue to whisk.
- Add ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper and whisk once more.
Strawberry Watermelon Salad
- In a large bowl, add cubed watermelon, chopped strawberries and mint. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Toss gently to combine the ingredients evenly. Serve with the side of dressing. Use 1 cup of salad per serving and top with about 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey lemon vinaigrette.