You can make these easy blackberry ricotta bites for a quick appetizer. You only need a few ingredients, and the flavors go very well together. They’re simple tasty little bites.
Start by getting a puff pastry sheet and cutting it into 25 pieces. With frozen puff pastry, you’ll want to let it sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes before you use it. Just cut four slices vertically and four horizontally.
You’re going to be using a mini muffin tin and they have 24 cups, so you’ll have one small square left over.
Looking for an easy delicious appetizer? Try:
How to Make a Blackberry Ricotta Appetizer
After you’ve cut your puff pastry, put one small square in each cup of the muffin tin. Then you’re going to make a little mixture of ricotta cheese and a whisked egg. In a small bowl combine 3/4 cup of ricotta cheese and 1/2 of a whisk egg. Add some salt for seasoning, about a half of a teaspoon.
Then squeeze the juice of half of a lemon and then use a grater to zest that half of the lemon. Mix well using a fork.
Add a small spoonful of ricotta cheese mixture to each of the muffin tin cups. Then fill them with blackberries, about 1 to 3 blackberries per muffin cup.
Cook the ricotta and blackberry pastry puff bites in the oven for about 15 minutes at 400°. You’ll know when they’re done when the pastries are slightly golden brown.
How to Serve Blackberry Ricotta Bites
Let your ricotta blackberry appetizer bites cool for about 10 minutes before you remove them from the muffin tin. Just give them a little twist to take them out.
Place them on a serving platter and then top them with finely chopped fresh mint herbs. Drizzle with a little bit of honey (and perhaps a little more lemon zest if you have the other half of the lemon on hand.)
You could use this recipe with ricotta to serve these mini blackberry ricotta bites as an appetizer, a pastry with breakfast, or as a blackberry ricotta dessert, paired with a scoop of ice cream.
Blackberry Ricotta Bites
- Mini muffin pan
- 1 puff pastry
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup blackberries
- 3 leaves fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out one sheet of puff pastry. Cut into 25 pieces (5 x 5) by making four verticle cuts and four horizontal cuts.
- Put each piece of puff pastry in a cup of the mini muffin pan. You don't need to grease or spray your mini muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, mix 3/4 cup ricotta cheese with 1/2 of a beaten egg as well as the juice and zest from 1/2 of a lemon. Season with salt, about a pinch.
- Fill each pastry with a spoonful of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with 1 -3 blackberries.
- Cook the mini ricotta and blackberry bites for about 15 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden brown. Allow them to cool about 5 minutes before plating them on a platter to serve. To remove the bites from the muffin tin, twist them gently and then life them out. Top and garnish with fresh mint and honey.